Volunteering at the Opportunity Center
We encourage English-proficient New Yorkers to volunteer at the Office for New Americans Opportunity Centers to assist New Americans to learn English and prepare for naturalization exams. Volunteer opportunities include:
- Helping a New American use a computer or tablet device to practice English using a computer teaching program in an in-class or computer lab language laboratory setting
- Conducting or participating in a one-on-one or group conversation practice session based on classroom instruction
- Holding mock testing for New Americans on the U.S. civics component of the naturalization exam
- Placing our U.S. Naturalization Preparation mobile phone application on a client’s cell phone
- Providing logistical support during naturalization drives
Visit the New Yorker State Commission on National and Community Services to find which Opportunity Centers are in need of assistance.