Re-training Program for Immigrant Engineers, Computer Programmers and Scientists
The New York State Office for New Americans (ONA) is assisting skilled immigrants in re-entering the science, technology, engineering and math fields in which they earned a degree in their home country.
In partnership with CAMBA and The Cooper Union, ONA provides free professional courses and job placement assistance for high-skilled New American engineers and scientists. These courses are an important vehicle in expanding work opportunities for New Americans who already possess the skills employers need.
Participants must have work authorization, have completed courses of study in their home country, and be seeking retraining in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Eligible immigrants are able to enroll in introductory and high-technology courses designed to update participants’ engineering, computer programming, and business skills. Courses are taught by Cooper Union faculty and experts in the field. The course offerings for each academic year are flexible and based on demand in the marketplace and student needs.
Since its inception, the program has taught over 4,700 students and helped place nearly 60% in jobs that allow them to reach their full professional potential.
In the last 3 years, the program has:
- Enrolled 725 students in 90 courses
- An average program completion rate of 96% of those enrolled
- Placed 454 individuals into jobs
- 83% of placements were full-time positions
- Helped graduates see an average household income increase of over $23,500
Job Placement and Career Services:
All students have access Workforce Development Services at CAMBA, one of the largest nonprofit organizations in New York, which include:
- Resume preparation
- Mock interviews
- Career advising
- Facilitated professional networking and job placement
CAMBA pursues a sector-based approach to job development, with employer-partners who invest time, effort and resources to integrate newly trained job seekers into their workforce.
Please, see our web site www.cooper.edu/immigrant-retraining for more information and application instructions.
The Cooper Union Retraining Program for Immigrant Engineers @ CAMBA
2244 Church Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11226
- Analytical Chemistry: Chromatography and Spectroscopy
- Green Building Guidelines & Environmental Safety
- Heating, Ventilation, Air-Condition & Refrigeration
- Building Operation, Maintenance & Safety Regulations
- National Electrical Code (NEC) & its applications
- Bridge, Highway, Tunnels and Buildings: Professional Practice for Cost Estimating
- AISC Structural Steel Design
- ACI Structural Concrete Design
- Introduction to AutoCAD for engineers
- Advanced AutoCAD and Revit
- Linux (UNIX) Administration
- Data Architecture Principles, Data Structure and SQL
- Java Programming
- Microsoft .NET and C#
- Software Quality Assurance – Manual Testing
- Software Quality Assurance – Automated Testing
- Android Software Development